Trying to become pregnant as a senior with no success can be very frustrating for both men and women alike. This journey can be very emotional. A fertility specialist can see the big picture and treat both men and women in their quest to become senior parents. Many couples will seek the services of a fertility clinic in order to help achieve and maintain a successful pregnancy. However, it is important that the couple selects the right fertility clinic for them. This means a facility that is not only highly successful in helping couples achieve a healthy pregnancy, but one that understands their senior care needs and has a good rapport. Not to mention that fertility treatments and tests can cost thousands of dollars and couples should invest their money wisely.
Finding a Reputable Fertility Treatment Center
No one wants to become the next statistic or news headline about an embryo that was implanted in the wrong mother or a dispute over eggs that have been frozen. This means couples should look into the ethics and quality control processes in place at the fertility clinics they are considering. Couples can also ask other couples who have gone through fertility treatments, their primary care doctors, their OBGYNs, and even their insurance companies to get referrals to the best fertility clinics in their area with the most senior care experience.
When talking to a fertility clinic about possibly becoming a patient there, many questions should be asked, such as:
- How long as the medical director been in his or her position at the clinic?
- How high is staff turnover? How long have the doctors and technicians been there? A lot of staff turnover is a bad sign.
- Which procedures does your clinic perform? The couple should seek clinics that are performing up-to-date procedures with the latest technologies, such as a blastocyst transfer.
- Are there age limits for treatment at your clinic? Clinics should set age limits as a part of their ethical processes.
- Who decides how many fertilized eggs will be implanted in the mother? Clinics who give complete control to the doctor should be avoided, due to the high risk of multiple births. This should be a decision made between the doctor and the involved parties.
- How many cycles per year do you do? There are some clinics that have so many patients and treat them during multiple menstrual cycles, each patient ends up feeling like a number.
What are the Financial Responsibilities?
How much does treatment usually cost? The choice should not be based solely on price, but it should be a factor of consideration. Couples need to know what they are getting into on the financial end of the process. Clinics who offer a guarantee of money back if no pregnancy is achieved should be looked at with caution, as the infertility specialist may treat couples more aggressively than they want to be treated.
Additionally, if the couple calls the fertility treatment center and the staff is too busy to answer their questions or return phone calls, they will likely be too busy for them as a patient as well.